Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cowboy Boots & Flip Flops

So a few weeks back it was my birthday. I turned thirty something...of course I shouldn't tell my age for privacy reasons on the internet. Yeah, that's why. Anyway, my parents were in town and watching the boys for a few days for me. It was really nice having them here. They were taking us out for my birthday dinner. I decided to get dressed up a bit. Since I work from home my wardrobe is pretty much jeans and whatever shirt I can find. Makeup is optional. Since I've had the boys usually there is a bit of spit up somewhere on my attire. My footwear is pretty much cowboy boots and flip flops. I used to wear heels all the time, not kidding, everyday. Even my flip flops would have some sort of heel. Every year I have one pair of black boots with a thick heel. They pretty much had become a staple of my wardrobe. When I was pregnant I wore my black boots to the Dr. and was told that I should not be wearing heels of any sort while pregnant, esp with twins. Great, so I just became very short and very round. My cute black boots sat by the back door for at least a month looking very lonely. They then got moved to the closet. They sat there for many months. So on my birthday I was getting all fancied up and decided to pull the black boots out of retirement. I slid one on thinking about how much skinner I was going to look with that inch or so added to my height. I slid the other one on and my toe stopped at something in the toe of the boot. I jerked out my foot and didn't want to but had to turn the boot upside down to see what fell out. A DEAD MOUSE!!! I shrieked, jumped around a little bit and then ran in the next room to tell my parents and husband my horrible discovery. My husband took away the corpse.
How did that mouse get into my boot you ask? You see, my lovely cat, little Miss Daisy has been bringing up mice from the basement and letting them go upstairs. I guess she just likes to have something to play with or giving the dog something to play with. Trust me we have had much unwanted entertainment chasing mice up here. I've decided that it's really a form of entertainment for the cat. When she is not getting enough love or is just bored she probably thinks "I'll bring a mouse up to shake things up a bit." Although it really didn't bother me at first now with the babies, it's driving me crazy. So crazy that the poor mice in the basement are going to have to go elsewhere, we are having an exterminator come today.

I think my parents and husband still get a chuckle every time they think about it. I still get chills when thinking about it. Unfortunately the boots didn’t make it either. There was a bit of a stink in them so they have been thrown away. Back to the cowboy boots and flip flops...they are much more my speed these days anyway.

1 comment:

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

You poor thing. I hate finding mice in my shoes. Well told!