Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer Bliss

There are so many things I love about summer.  In all truthfulness, I really love all of the seasons.  I love living in an area where they are all so pronounced.  You really experience all four seasons even though some years it feels like you go straight from winter to summer or summer to winter.  But summer, ahhh summer.  The warm sun on your skin, the smell of sunscreen, fire flies, sweet tea, and for me one of the major loves is locally grown fresh fruits and veggies.  I have to say that farmers markets are one of my most favorite things.  They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  You pick it farms are right up there too.  I love knowing that the produce I'm eating is from where I am living.  I love supporting local farmers, I love talking with the person who grew the food.  With you pick it farms, there is something so satisfying about going out and picking something and then either eating it there or bringing home the bounty for later.  Of course I have a garden but I'm not very good at growing things other than weeds...yet.  So far we do have a few tomato's, I think we are going to have lots of zucchini, and a few cucumbers.  The okra, jalapenos, and bell peppers are debatable.  This is my first non-planter true in the ground garden, so it's a start.  Watch out next year, I'm already planning that garden and how to do things.  I'm a trial and error girl & not much of a planner the first go around.  I have to do something to see how it turns out and then go at it from another angle. 

After we went to the farmers market last Saturday we went blueberry picking.



We have LOTS of blueberries.


I think we ended up with around 15 pounds. I'm going to be like Bubba in Forrest Gump. We have blueberry pancakes, blueberry pie, blueberry jelly, blueberry smoothies, blueberry cobbler, etc., etc., etc. I'm so excited to make all of those goodies. We have frozen the majority of the blueberries so we can enjoy them all year long.  I just bought my first canning kit so we can make some blueberry jams.  Erik is just praying I don't poison us...I am too!

No comments: