Saturday, April 24, 2010

Does this mean we're country?

Erik and I are both from large cities.  He was raised in a Chicago suburb and I was raised in a St. Louis suburb.  We are both city mice with country mice hearts.  I think because of living in the city we are both a little bit jaded.  I mean just watch the first five minutes of the news in any large city for a few years and crime just becomes another day in the life.  We live outside a small town now, population 20,000 (that's small for us).  We're on five acres but close to a local highway. 

Last night around 2am someone came a knockin' at our door.  The dogs went crazy and woke us up.  Erik and I (after watching too much 48 Hours Mystery, Criminal Minds, and Dateline) know that nothing good can be knocking at your door at 2am.  I think the parental instinct of protecting our young kicked in for both of us.  I stayed in our bedroom with the boys (they sleep in a bassinet next to the bed) and Erik loaded his shot gun. At that moment I felt country. 

It turns out it was a young girl who was on her way home and wrecked her car at the bottom of the hill next to our house.  Her cell phone was dead so she needed a phone to call her parents.  Even after her story we thought it could be some sort of scam.  See...jaded.  I mean after all haven't I gotten an email about this sort of thing before?  Erik walked out with the dog and saw that the parents got to their daughter okay and could see where the car went off the road.  Poor girl was so shaken from the accident and then has to knock on the door of a strangers house at 2am. Then to have it answered by a guy with a shot gun.  I thank God it was our house and not someone who may have done her harm.  I think about that poor mother who received a phone call at 2am from an unknown number while her daughter is out and can't imagine what went through her head.  We called a bit later to follow up and were told all was okay. 

As for me, I will be cutting back on the amount crime shows that I watch.  I don't think this will cure me because I believe I will always be jaded but as long as we have the shot gun can I just call it being country?

2 comments:

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

I don't know if it's country - answering the door, or going out on the lawn at 2am with a shotgun - because I have never lived anywhere else, and I have done it a bunch of times! A dog, a shotgun and a willingness to at least find out what's going on is country. http://domesticepisodes.blogspot.com/2008/07/men-who-wander-at-night-through-honey.html Here is my experience!

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

I added a link to your blog to my blog! LOVE IT!